The monument was constructed to commemorate the soldiers from the Albany area who served in the Civil War. The largest contribution of soldiers to the Union Army came from New York State. October 5, 1912, the Soldiers and Sailors Monument was unveiled in a celebration that included two parades and attracted thousands of people from surrounding areas. The monument was put in Washington Park mainly because it was once used for military training.  The Monument is made of marble perched on a granite base with a bronze statue symbolizing the Nation, holding the palms of victory. The monument was built with Tennessee marble from above the seat and the remainder is made of Stony Creek granite. It stands 22 feet tall, 21 feet long, surrounded by a seat. The Monement sits on the Henry Johnson Boulevard entrance from State Street into the park. The Monement was finished in 1911 by the American Sculptor Hermon A. MacNeil. The monument was restored in 1986 and renamed the Albany Veterans Memorial Monument.
1 citation text "The Soldiers and Sailors Monument." All Over Albany. Accessed March 30, 2016. http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2012/10/30/the-soldiers-and-sailors-monument.
2 citation textWikipedia. Accessed March 30, 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Park_Historic_District_(Albany,_New_York).